Addiction affects both men and women; however, just like most things in life, addiction affects both men and women differently. At Start Sobriety Now, we offer rehab facilities exclusively for men where treatment is custom tailored to provide the specific benefits that men require.
The majority of people don’t realize that men and women respond differently to drugs and alcohol. Physiologically, males process drugs and alcohol differently than females. Psychologically, men confront different social challenges than women and have triggers that are specific to their gender and prompt them to use and abuse drugs and alcohol. For these reasons, it is important for men to receive the customized care that they require when it comes to rehabilitation.
Studies have found that the way men abuse drugs and alcohol is different than the way that women do. Some of these differences include:
- Men are more inclined to drink excessive amounts than women are. When they drink excessively, men are also more likely to take part in behaviors that are high-risk to themselves and to others.
- Men are hospitalized more often than women as a result of alcohol consumption. They also have a higher rate of alcohol-related death than women.
- The rate of drug dependence is higher in men than in women; 3.9% of men are dependent on drugs, whereas 1.9% of women are dependent on drugs.
- Men are more likely to develop psychosocial and physical issues than women as a result of substance abuse.
According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), in 2009, one in 10 men reported using illicit drugs, while only one in 15 women reported using illicit drugs. Given the stark differences in the way that men and women use and are affected by drugs and alcohol, it’s no wonder that rehabilitation programs have been created to address the specific needs of males.
Don’t wait to recover. Start Sobriety Now!
What is Rehab for Men?
Our rehabilitation programs for men are designed to meet the specific needs of men who are battling with drug addiction and abuse. Men are more greatly impacted by detoxification, the first phase of sobriety, than women, and they also require different methodologies regarding the counseling, therapy and after-care that follow.
Our drug and alcohol rehab programs for men take different approaches to handling the unique needs that men face when they abuse and are addicted to a substance. These programs may offer group therapy and individual counseling that is custom-tailored to men’s physical and emotional concerns, as well as any sexual concerns that they may have. Since men tend to exhibit anger, violence and control issues when they abuse and are addicted to drugs and/or alcohol, rehab programs for men may offer programs that focus on anger management. They may also offer vocational programs, fitness programs that are specifically designed for men, and a variety of other programs that suit the needs and interests of males.
In addition to receiving care and support that is customized for their unique needs, when men attend a male-only rehabilitation program, they do not have to be concerned about interacting on a social level with women, men will have an easier time focusing on their own rehabilitation.
For more information about our rehabilitation options for men, call us today. You may greatly benefit from a treatment program specifically tailored to your needs as a man.
The Benefits of Male-Only Rehab
Alcohol and drug abuse impacts everyone whose lives it touches, including men and women, as well as teenagers and children. Abuse and addiction can have a devastating impact on virtually every aspect of a person’s life, including the mind, the body, relationships and finances. Since drug addiction and abuse is so destructive for all that it impacts, does it really make a difference if rehabilitation targets men or women?
Studies have found that yes, gender-specific treatment can have a huge impact on rehabilitation. There are several pertinent reasons that drug treatment programs that are specific to each gender can be beneficial for both men and women…
- The areas of the brain that are affected by drug and alcohol abuse respond differently in men than in women.
- Men and women face different risk factors that make them more prone to drug and alcohol abuse.
- Males and females have different psychological factors that can aid them in fighting addiction.
- Different approaches to rehabilitation are more effective for men than they are for women.
- The reasons for relapse or dropping out of treatment differ between men and women.
Many men who receive treatment at a male-only rehab facility may feel that the care they receive is more personalized. From determining the reasons that have caused their drug abuse to developing strategies that will help them cope with triggers and urges in the future, drug and/or alcohol rehab that is designed specifically for men may be more effective than rehab that is caters to both sexes. Call us today to speak with a trained treatment specialist who will help determine the best personal treatment plan for you.
Request a Call
Our goal is to provide you with the best rehab or detox experience. A treatment counselor will verify your insurance to check whether you qualify as a candidate. Travel arrangements can be made to place you in the best situation possible starting you on your journey to recovery!
The Risks of Substance Abuse for Men
There are so many reasons why substance abuse is dangerous for men. The risks that men who abuse and are addicted to drugs and/or alcohol face include:
- Increased likelihood of motor vehicle accidents
- The development of depression and anxiety
- Physical harm to themselves and others
- Unsafe sexual activity with multiple partners
- Issues with work and finances
- Health risks, including HIV and cancer
Rehab for Men: Things to Consider
The decision to go to rehab is a big step for anyone who is addicted to drugs and/or alcohol to take. If you or someone you love is considering rehab for men, there are some important considerations that you should keep in mind before you select a program. These factors include:
- The Length of Stay. The amount of time spent in rehab varies from person to person. The type of substance that is being abused, the severity of the addiction, the length of time the person has been abusing a substance and the type of treatment that is needed are all factors that will determine the amount of time that is needed in rehab.
- Insurance Coverage. Does your insurance cover the cost of rehab and does the facility accept your insurance? Find this out prior to enrolling in a program so you know what type of financial assistance, if any, you will receive. If you are unsure of your financial situation, call us today to verify your insurance.
If you or someone you love is in need of help, please contact us at (800) 553-6192 to speak with a trained treatment specialist about a custom tailored recovery plan. We are here to walk with you on your unique journey to health and wholeness.